Snort mailing list archives

Is this config. ok

From: Kenny D <bitored2002 () yahoo com au>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:02:45 +1100 (EST)

Hi,

I have setup snort and it is very quiet. I just want
to make sure everything i done is correct. I have set
it up as follows

internet -- router --- (public ip
outside)pix(inside172.16.1.1) --- (172.16.1.2)
3005Concentrator (172.17.1.1) --- my inside network on
172.17.1.0

My snort machine is monitoring all traffic coming from
the pix inside interface, i am using span port
mirroring on my switch. When i turn on alert tcp any
any -> any any i do see plenty of traffic going back
and forward. However when i turn it off it is very
quiet. I assume my router and firewall is doing a good
job but how can i be sure it all works. An external
scan didnt create any alerts. I set my home network in
snort to 172.17.1.0

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks.

- Vote for your nominees in our online Oscars pool.