Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort won't detect any portscan activity

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:58:07 -0500

First, I'd try setting HOME_NET to any as a quick test.

I'm guessing (wildly) that you have snort running on a Linux box that is doing address translation/masquerading/whatever for a small network. If you have snort listening on your outside interface HOME_NET should be the IP of that interface, not the address translated ones, since the 192.168.*.* addresses will never appear on that interface.

Also note, you will have to generate attacks from the outside world heading in to your network, not from the inside heading out. Snort only monitors for portscans being run against HOME_NET (ie: any portscans being run from HOME_NET will generaly not be detected).

Please include some more details about your setup and the scans you are running if this isn't helpful to you.