Snort mailing list archives

Using Snort with a virtual ethernet device (tap0)

From: "Arjan van Leeuwen" <avleeuwen () dynamicsolutions nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:21:25 +0100

I'm trying to setup Snort on my FreeBSD firewall system, and have it listening on a virtual ethernet connection. The
virtual ethernet connection is tap0 with ip address 192.168.0.1 (see http://vtun.sourceforge.net/tun/ for more info). I
use IPFilter as a firewall - it duplicates blocked packets to tap0 for further processing, so that snort can read it.
Or that's what I tought.

If I run snort in verbose mode on the tap0 interface (snort -v -i tap0), not a single packet passes tap0. Even when I'm
ssh-ing from the machine itself to address 192.168.0.1, nothing appears. Does someone have even a remote idea of what's
happening here? I've been puzzling for quite some time now...

Thanks.