Snort mailing list archives

Re: attack hidden in path MTU discovery or snort 1.8.3 log weirdness? MISC Large ICMP Packet

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 13:31:50 -0500

This sounds and looks like it might be the snort 1.8.3 stream 4 reassembly bug. See the "Re: Garbage in snort logs" thread. Quite frankly, I personally would not touch snort 1.8.3 with a ten foot pole after reading the problems reported on the list which seem specific to that version.. Go with 1.8.4 beta, or with 1.8.2 and check for the ICMP header size bug.

You might also check the 'snort 1.8.3 splicing packets" thread, Mandrake 8.0 may have inherited RedHat's bad libpcap:

Is one of the systems a RedHat linux box (and why are you reporting bugs
without following the BUGS file...)?  If so, that's probably your
problem, RedHat in their infinite wisdom decided to change the pcap
headers for their distro, breaking the cross-platform nature of the pcap
format.  Check out pcapedit that comes with Ethereal, it should be able
to fix the problems.