Snort mailing list archives

RE: Tracking internal users with snort

From: "Wirth, Jeff" <WirthJe () DNB com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:59:24 -0500

Peter,

The one thing that "should" remain static is the client's MAC address, that
is of course until they move to another machine.  You may want to look into
using BPF expressions in combination with a snort process...

i.e....

snort <options> ether host XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (or use -F switch with BPF
file)

I've used this to temporally track suspect users in the past.  More details
can be found in the snort man page...

- Jeff