Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and ARIS Extractor

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 07:38:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Mike Walter wrote:

      I am sure someone has covered this, but I can't seem to find it.  I
downloaded and registered with ARIS so I could upload my logs.  I am
logging to mySQL, and thought I could just use the portscan.log with the
ARIS extractor.  This does not seem to be the case.  How do I log snort to
mySQL and to the proper file format so I could run the ARIS extractor?
Thanks in advance.

Two options that I can come up with.

        1)  Use Barnyard, which is still in beta, to dump from the unified
logging format into the DB.
        2)  Configure fast or full alerts _along with_ the DB output.  Snort
can dump to two logging formats at the same time.  Just don't try this on a
Fat Pipe(tm).  You could also do post-processing of the data if you
wanted--log to binary and mysql, then come back over that at the end of the
night to dump out the full/fast alerts.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams