Snort mailing list archives

Re: What can Snort listen for?

From: ashley thomas <athomas () unity ncsu edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:35:27 -500

Yes. That is what Snort is for (watch the network traffic promiscously)
... it sees all the packets on the network  (provided it is a BUS topology)
If it is switched network , then B sees only packets destined to it or going
from it.

Hi all,

I have something not very clear... Suppose I have the network in the
below:

     +-----------------> |  10BASE-T Hub | <------------+

  ---------                 -------------------------
----------
  | Host A |               |  Host B (running Snort)  |          | Host
C |
  ----------               -------------------------
----------

In this example, can the Host B capture all the traffic between Host A
and C?

Thanks in advacne.
--
steven

home page: http://steven4u.net
tel:       +86 760 8320102
rfc-822:   steven () steven4u net

              \|||/
             (o o)
If money could talk, it would say - goodbye