Snort mailing list archives

dns servers

From: "snortlst snortlst" <snortlst () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:55:04 -0500

I see in the snort alert file a lot of entries like that:
dns server1 > firewall > ICMP unreachable
dns server2 > firewall > ICMP unreachable

(those are AT&T dns servers that are listed in DNS_SERVERS in snort.conf)
Questions:
1. Why I do receive those messages? (They're supposed to be ignored because
of the DNS_SERVERS entry in snort.conf, right?)
2. Do you have any idea why dns severs send icmp traffic to our firewall?
(the're supposed to be talking udp-53 and that's it...)

Thanks.