Snort mailing list archives

Re: Database Archival

From: Susan Kay Coulter <skc () lanl gov>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:21:23 -0600

I build those static tables with the create script for my archive database.
I don't archive the flags or protocol tables either.  Those are also built with
static definitions in the create script.
Doesn't mean you can't add them to your version of the scripts if you feel more
comfortable that way.

Hello,

I have a quick question. I am not very familiar with mysql never mind trying to
archive data off to another
mysql DB. So here goes. I have copies of Susan Kay Coulter's Perl scripts, but
they appear to only archive the
following tables.

acid_ag
acid_ag_alert
acid_ip_cache
reference
reference_system
schema
sensor
sig_reference
signature
iphdr
tcphdr
udphdr
icmphdr
data
opt
acid_event

The following tables are not read from.

detail
encoding
sig_class

Shouldn't the data in these tables be archived as well? Thanks!

vjl

Susan Kay Coulter wrote:

There is a glitch in mysql.  The user that attempts the archive using the
'outfile' option must have FILE privileges in the user table.  The GRANT
command, which is usually used to grant privileges, does not successfully put a
Y in the column for file privileges in the user table.  I was forced to
manually updated the table and place a Y in the file privileges column.
(Then you must run the FLUSH privileges command.)

I did not mention this in my earlier post - because I was not sure if it was
specific to my installation of mysql.  Apparently (since you are not the first
person to ask about this) it is a problem with mysql.