Snort mailing list archives

AW: (Snort-users) Snort Sensor Multi-Homed...

From: <sandro.poppi () wacker com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:29:00 +0200

For a snort sensor (multi-homed) with the primary NIC
connected to RFC 1918
space and the second NIC running in promisc mode without the stack
configured, what is the best way to configure this via the
snort.conf file.

I am mostly concerned with performance. Would it be:

var HOME_NET any OR var HOME_NET $<inf>_ADDRESS

var EXTERNAL_NET any OR var EXTERNAL_NET $<inf>_ADDRESS

The idea here is to have my distributed sensors deployed
throughout various
nets grabbing data on the promisc net and then all reporting
back to my
Demarc/MySQL system via 1918 and gain maximum performance and results.

I'm running snort with 6 NICs in one machine using eth0 for connecting to our
internal network and all other NICs without ip# for snorting, using HOME_NET
any, EXTERNAL_NET any. As always rule set needs some tweeking depending on your
network.

Remember not to run the db/ACID etc. tools on the same machine since that is a
performance issue.

So long,
Sandro