Snort mailing list archives

Re: Use Snort to document usage?

From: Madhav Diwan <mdiwan () wagweb com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 22:38:48 -0400

 Interesting idea .. but i would leave the  Snort IDS to run
IDS detection..

 you could concievably  create rules that log source and destination
activity  to and from  a particutar IP or IP-range in snort..  BUT , why
bother when a tool such as ntop already does all this and more ..

my suggestion:

try ntop to monitor the traffic stats.. and create  general policy based
on its results :   thats what it was made for.

then use snort to fine tune your firewall.. THAT is a very good reason
to use an IDS.

Madhav Diwan

Rich Adamson wrote:

I'm looking for a realistic way to identify communications to/from
a small set of systems that share a single ethernet segment, and use
that useage data to install/configure a firewall.  These critical
systems will be isolated behind a firewall, however before installing
the firewall I'd like to identify/document all current activity and
configure the initial firewalls rules to support appropriate usage.
The systems are AIX, X11, IP, etc.

I can certainly use Sniffers to monitor acitivity over some lengthy
period of time, however I'm wondering if snort might be able to
accomplish the task in some manner.

Thoughts???

Rich