Snort mailing list archives

Re: MISC IP Reserved bit set

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:12:27 -0400

Actually, this is the *IP* reserved bit, right next to the MF and DF
bits in the IP header.  We have other rules that look for the TCP
reserved bits.  Anyway, if you were seeing this traffic you were either
seeing something extremely broken sending our traffic (e.g. Windows or a
broken router) or someone was purposefully sending you crafted packets.
I'd suggest the latter.

      -Marty

"Miller, Toby" wrote:

The reserved bits have nothing to do with the PSH or URG flags. It can
be one of two things:

1) Crafted packet. Queso sets these bits when it scans.

2) ECN. Explicit Congestion Notification. RFC 3168, 2884 and 2481 I also
wrote a paper on ECN, you can find that at securityfocus under IDS.

Toby