Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort and portsentry on same host ?

From: "Franki" <frankieh () vianet net au>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:20:57 +0800

Isn't hogwash designed with something like that in mind? rather then
blocking the host of the bad packets, it just blocks the bad packets?

I love the idea of that, I'd love to see it go further and get more
support..

Its not a perfect solution, I imagine it needs alot of horsepower to do a
big pipe, and the rules would have to be vague to stop false alarms from
breaking stuff. but the idea is great, it is of benefit for those of us who
have to much to do to be monitoring IDS output all the time, as it stands
now, I have to read about 5mb of txt reports from various servers each day.

As far as I can concerned, every little bit helps right?

rgds

Frank