Snort mailing list archives

Re: distributed snort

From: "Tim Hughes" <tph () secgate org>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 02:55:21 -0500

Take a look at the following article from Network Computing.
http://www.networkcomputing.com/1217/1217f2.html

Greg Shipley writes a very good article on the current state of intrusion
detection.  Having decided to just beat the hell out of a box of  mine, I
ran Snort on 3 sensors with a completely untweaked ruleset passing the data
back to mysql and ACID on the backend.  After 2 days or so (15-20K alerts),
I found that on my underpowered box (400 Celeron, 128 MB RAM, RedHat 6.2) it
would take an exteremely long time to query the database.

While you can easily have 50+ sensors reporting back to your central
console, just remember you have to have some form of adequate front-end to
analyse the data.  With the current front-ends of ALL IDS products that I
have seen, a frontend that will handle a true enterprise deployment with
decent throughput and traffic does not exist.

I would consider breaking your IDS deployment up into smaller more
manageable chunks, as this will make the analysis much easier...

Tim Hughes
tph () secgate org