Snort mailing list archives

Re: Test question

From: George Patterson <george () laopdr com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:36:55 +0700

Ryan, and those wondering...

Quoting from section 1.4.3 of the Snort User Manual

" ... The Alert rules applied first, then the Pass rules, and finally the Log
rules.
 This sequence is somewhat counterintuitive, but it's a more foolproof method
than
 allowing the user to write a hundred alert rules and then disable them all
with an
 errant pass rule. For more information on rule types, see Section 2.2.1.
...."

George Patterson

Ryan Hill wrote:

Ronneil,

If you don't change the rule processing order (snort -o), then AFAIK, the
alert will trigger irregardless of the pass rule since alert rules will be
processed first in the engine.  Generally, if you've written any pass rules,
you want to use snort -o to utilize them.  The default option is not using
them (probably for performance reasons - one can speculate).

BTW: Good suggestions Phil.  I'm getting double triggers as the messages
pass over two sensors before reaching me... lol

<snip false alarm generating sig here>

Regards,

Ryan Hill, MCSE
IT Ninja