Snort mailing list archives

Snort 1.8.3 on Win32 - Crash

From: "Ryan Drogo" <rydrogo () ucsd edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:04:11 -0800

I recall seeing some discussion of this before, but
I don't think it was answered clearly --

This is my problem. I'm running snort on a low traffic
interface, not much more than about 7Mbit on average,
and occasionally (I say this because I can find no
set of circumstances that always accompanies the behavior)
the CPU usage of Snort will jump to 100% of one CPU
(well, according to the task manager, 50% on a dual cpu machine)
and it will stop logging anything after that point.
The usage never goes down and snort doesn't do any
logging/alerting again until the process is restarted.
Has anyone encountered this and found a solution?

The box is a dual PIII-600 with 512MB RAM and using
an Intel 100Mbit server NIC in a 64bit PCI slot. It's
running Win2k Server with SP2.

TIA,
Ryan Drogo
UCSD Bioengineering