Snort mailing list archives

Re: Test question

From: Greg Herlein <gherlein () herlein com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 19:35:52 -0800 (PST)

alert tcp any any -> any any (msg:"ATTACK RESPONSES id check returned root"; flags:A+; content: "uid=0(root)";
classtype:bad-unknown; sid:498; rev:2;)

Interesting - this email exchange triggered this rule in my
system, giving me a moment's heart palpatation.  :)  It saw it on
port 25 - so I knew it was either legit email, or a new hack of
sendmail.

I'll probably add a new rule to turn this off if on port 25 or
I'll get more similar false positives.  I'm not sure how to
trigger on it on port 25 if it's not in email....  gotta think
about that.

Greg