Snort mailing list archives

RE: ignoring unwanted traffic comming from source

From: Ryan Hill <rhill () xypoint com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:42:06 -0800

Emre,

I could be wrong here, but you'll need to do the following to completely
ignore traffic originating from 12.34.56.78/32:

1.) Change snort rules processing order using snort -o (pass rules applied
first).

2.) Add appropriate pass rules for that host, e.g.:

pass tcp 12.34.56.78 any -> any any
pass udp 12.34.56.78 any -> any any
pass icmp 12.34.56.78 any -> any any

3.) Change your portscan directive in snort.conf to ignore this host:

preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: [12.34.56.78/32]

In addition, I would define HOME_NET as the actual subnet(s) you're
monitoring, if 12.34.56.78 is a class C and is the only subnet your
monitoring, the appropriate line would be:

var HOME_NET [12.34.56.78/24]

If you do not change this appropriately, you may get false alarms or alerts
that don't trigger for relevant attacks based on where HOME_NET is defined
(or if) as part of the alert signature.

Regards,

Ryan Hill, MCSE
IT Ninja
Corporate Information Systems
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) - http://www.telecomsys.com
v: 206.792.2276 - f: 206.792.2001
pgp: 0x17CE70AB

okay, here's what I did:  I set HOME_NET to 12.34.56.78/32
and EXTERNAL_NET is still set to any.  I tried port scanning
from the machine and then port scanning the machine from some
other machine (if that makes any sense).  The port scan
showed up in the alerts when I scanned 12.34.56.78 from some
other machine, but no port scan alerts showed up when I
scanned some other machine from 12.34.56.78.  So I guess it's
working?  I have to give it a few days run time to see how
many alerts get generated, and see if any of thosehave a
source of 12.34.56.78.  If none of them do, it worked.  It's
been a long time sinceI setup snort (and it seems like it
changed alot over a year)...forgive me :-D