Snort mailing list archives

Re: General question

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 13:54:33 -0500

Well, I don't know of any tools offhand that fit your requirements, but I do know of a tool that might work for you if you can get your hands on an old machine.

Nessus is not completely ported to windows, but the GUI client side is. I'd try to find some old, discarded Pentium or 486 computer and install a minimal *nix config on it and install nessusd, and use stronger windows box as the GUI client. I don't think (although I'm not sure) that the nessusd requires much CPU/RAM/disk to run, I suspect that most of the tough work is done in the client.

I have a 486-120 w/12MB of ram at home with redhat 6.2 on it (upgraded and tweaked a bit), and I might try setting this up in my spare time.

www.nessus.org

other tools to look at are saint and satan, but I don't think the latter is up-to-date at all.