Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP relaying denied

From: "James" <the_saint_james () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 00:48:37 -0700

I have been flooded by relay requests for several days at the rate of 1
attempt/sec. Random IP's.
Just want to make sure I am reading this rule right. 198.59.109.2 is my
mail
server. So in the alert above
61.74.184.2 asked my mail server to relay mail and my server returned a
"relay denied" packet ?

You are correct.  This is YOUR server telling THEM that THEY can't relay
through you.  This is a good thing.  :)

-brian

James here.....

Thanks. Grepping thru the mail logs I realized the msg for "relay deny" and
"Blocked by MAPS"
both contain content that this rule is looking for. MAPS blocks open relays.
So this ends up being not attempts to relay but a flood of Spam at us,
blocked by MAPS. I'll write rules to be more specific. This is a useful
metric, to measure MAPS and gage floods of Spam.

james.