Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort to trap SSH connection --HOWTO?

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 08:46:27 -0500

"gerald." <gerald.chan () i-admin com> writes:

1.  (*) text/plain          ( ) text/html

Hi,

I am running Linux Redhat 7.1, snort-1.8.1-RELEASE, openssh 2.9.2

I tried to trap any suspicious SSH connection from external network to
my network, but unable to start the process.

What are the values of $HOME_NET and $EXTERNAL_NET? Show the lines
where they are being defined if you would.

Rule parser isn't as robust as it should be sometimes.

case 1
alert tcp $HOME_NET 22 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"SSH login from
untrusted network"; flags: S; tag: session, 300, packets;)
result: core dump

looks good but you'd probably need to change S to S+ for it to work.
Still need to know the varilabe values.

case 2
alert $HOME_NET 22 -> any any (msg:"SSH login from untrusted network";
flags: S; tag: session, 300, packets;)
result: ERROR /etc/snort/rules/ssh.rules (5) => Bad protocol: any
Fatal Error, Quitting..

This one has no protocol

case 3
alert tcp $HOME_NET 22 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"SSH to sensor";)
result: core dump

Please Help and thanks in advance,

Gerald

--