Snort mailing list archives

"SHELLCODE x86 NOOP" from presumably non dangerous addresses

From: robe () alfa21 com (Roberto Suarez Soto)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:49:09 +0100

Hi,

        I'm receiving several "SHELLCODE x86 NOOP" alerts from addresses like
"law2-www.hotmail.com" and another one in akamai (presumably, one of those
used in ad banners: a62-41-13-32.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com). Is there a
non-paranoid explanation of what could be happening?

        I think that maybe the transmission of some gif/jpg or some attach
could trigger the alert, but I'm not very sure.

        BTW, we're using OpenSSH from a linux box to the linux sensor that
hosts snort, and the alert "EXPLOIT ssh CRC32 overflow filler" is triggered.
Any hint of what could be this? Just an over-sensitive rule?

        Thanks in advance.

--
Roberto Suarez Soto                                     Alfa21 Outsourcing
    robe () alfa21 com                               http://www.alfa21.com