Snort mailing list archives

RE: Alerts from DMZ

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:32:39 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Petriz, Pablo wrote:

Thank you Erek, it helps me a lot! but let me graph it
to understand it better:

 External Net ----- Firewall --------- Internal Net
                       |                      |
                      [H]--(1)-- Snort --(2)--?

                      DMZ
[H]Hub in DMZ
(1)Read only cable from hub to stealth nic (IP 0.0.0.0)
(2)Standard cable from 2nd NIC to Internal Net

That's it!  This is a nice handy-dandy secure setup that works well in many
networks, even large ones.

It looks strange but secure. I think that your comment on
"Make sure your firewall rules don't allow _any_ traffic
to the snort box to pass." it?s unnecessary because for the
FW the Snort box doesn?t exists. It?s that right?

Well, the more you deal with security, the more paranoid you become.  :)
IMHO, I want all the levels of protection that I can have.  In some cases, the
second NIC has IPF running on it to prevent anyone on the internal net (except
for the 'main management station').  A little paranoia is a healthy thing to
have... :)  As for the firewall rules, that's personal opinion.  I usually
tend to have explicit deny's for any traffic to the sensor on any IP.  *shrug*
It might be overkill, but I don't mind the extra security.

Good luck and Happy Snorting!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy