Snort mailing list archives

Re: rules update

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:29:03 -0500

Since the snort-current rules stuff is just built out of CVS, you could
always to a 'cvs update' and not have to worry about custom local
configuration getting whacked...

     -Marty

Matt Kettler wrote:

1) yes, manually over-write them, then restart or SIGHUP your snort daemon.
Don't forget to check the snort.conf file and update the variables in the
new one.

2) If you were auto-updating signatures, what would happen if someone
managed to hack the snort rule server and put up an empty signature list..
you'd be unprotected. Manual install implies some level of quick "is this
list reasonable" checking on your part.

Malicious intent aside, how would you sensibly auto-update? the snort.conf
file needs edits to have your IP address ranges so you can't use the new
one as-is. Also, the number of .rules files included by snort.conf varies,
so you can't use your old one.

Besides all that, the default ruleset is often not exactly what you want. I
for one have to tweak a few rules out (mostly ICMP ones) or I get flooded,
and add a few custom rules of my own to local.rules based on the structure
of the network here. Once you have a feel for snort you'll probably find
tweaks of your own.