Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort rules questions

From: "Franki" <franki () gshop com au>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 22:01:01 +0800

IS it possible that snort is running in conjunction with something like
portsentry??

we know from previous conversation that ipchains/iptables can stop snort
seeing full connects because the firewall cuts it off before it is a full
connection...

If the box is restarted all the ipchains or tables rules are dropped, and it
starts again..

Snort would see stuff initially, and portsentry or whatever added deny rules
to the firewall each host thats probing would be getting blocked. then at
the end of all that, we have snort running, but logging buggar all because
there are already ipchains rules blocking the hosts...

if you can, check the ipchains and iptables rules, for ipchains, try:
ipchains -nL to get a listing...

if there is a massive list of blocked IP's in there, that would be your
problem, (or your solution???)

just thought I'd mention that...

rgds

Frank