Snort mailing list archives

RE: Requirements to run SNORT

From: "Gray . Brendan" <bgray2 () drc com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:02:04 -0500

I have snort (1.8.1) running on a P166, 48 megs RAM, ISA 10Mbit NIC (3Com?)
and Red Hat 7.1.  We are a small office network with a Class C subnet.
Snort does ok, but when I run SnortSnarf to analyze the alert log, it can
cause my system to crash, due to insufficient memory.  I end up having to
reboot once a week.  I've been keeping an eye out for all Red Hat updates
that come out, especially for the kernel. (using 2.4.9-12 for now)  If I
have time someday, I may contemplate moving down to Red Hat 7.0 and the
earlier kernel, it might be a better match for my hardware.  I'm a relative
Linux newbie, but I do ok.

Brendan Gray