Snort mailing list archives

Re: Acid / MySQL question

From: Guillaume <guillaume () anteria fr>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 17:42:24 +0100 (CET)

En réponse à Lance Spitzner <lance () honeynet org>:

Okay, I'm going over the MySQL manual and my head is ready
to explode, I be database ignorant.  Question.

  "How do I create seperate mysql accounts for each
   one of my Snort sensors feeding data to the ACID
   database?"

I have 5 remote Snort sensors I want to feed data to my
backend ACID/MySQL database.  To do this, I have to add
the mysql user account and password to each snort.conf file
so each Snort sensor can send alerts to the database.

output database: log, mysql, user=root password=test dbname=db
host=localhost

For security reasons, I want each sensor to have a unique
user account and password on the mysql database.  I feel user
root is a bad thing, as this is full privalleges on the mysql
database.  So what is the >mysql command systax to add seperate
users and passwords so each sensor has privalleges to add data to
the snort database?

Hope I understood what you wanna do... Try this :

mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON snort.* TO username () host com IDENTIFIED BY
PASSWORD('pass');

With :
- snort being the name of the DB you are using to logg snort's outputs,
- username the user's name used by your sensor and this.host.com the FQDN of
the sensor. You can - in fact you should - write the IP/netmask of this host
instead of the FQDN : username@'192.168.10.12/255.255.255.O' <- do not forget
the single quote !
- pass the password for this user. Do not forget to use the PASSWORD()
function !

You can be more restrictive by just allowing INSERT and SELECT requests (I took
a look at the code of the db plugin output, I do not remind having seen other
SQL statements than this two ones) :

GRANT SELECT,INSERT ON snort.* TO username@'192.168.10.12/255.255.255.0' etc...

IMPORTANT : you'll have to reload MySQL privileges by running :
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES ;

For this new rights to be activated !

Repeat this with as much as users you need/want.

If you simply give SELECT and INSERT privileges to the sensor's users, do not
forget to create a snort super-user you'll use for ACID. This super-user will
have to have UPDATE and DELETE privileges in addition of SELECT/INSERT ones.
Using this kind of super-user just for the snort DB will avoid using the
general super-user root. Interesting when you use the same MySQL server for
different DBs ! :-)

Thanks!

You're welcome. I am very interested by any discussion about the DB SQL schema
of snort database anyway.

--
Lance Spitzner
http://project.honeynet.org

Oops... I should have written : You're welcome, Sir... ;-)