Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort exit

From: Ed Kasky <ed () esson net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 11:07:41 -0800

Tim Hughes gave me this tip and it works for me as well:

"I run snort as an auto started service on RedHat 6.2 and I compile from
source with an /opt/snort prefix to make upgrades and removal much easier.
(I have a habit of doing this for all 3rd party software)  I have attached
the script I use in the cron job (snort-check.sh) and my snort init file
(snort).  You will need to change the path in the crontab line and in the
snort-check.sh file to the appropriate paths for your environment."

The crontab line reads:

*/1 * * * * /sbin/snort-check.sh

-=> snort-check.sh <=-

#!/bin/sh

# Check the status of snort

pid=`/sbin/pidof snort`
#echo "pid $pid"

if [ "$pid" =  "" ]; then
        /etc/rc.d/init.d/snort start
        echo -n "Snort has been restarted"
        exit 0
fi

exit 0

-=> snort init <=-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for the Snort Intrusion Detection Engine
#
# chkconfig: 345 85 15
#               used to detect hostile attacks on a network.
# processname: snort
# pidfile: /var/run/snort.pid
# config: /opt/snort/rules/snort.conf

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
 start)
        echo -n "Starting snort:"
daemon /opt/snort/bin/snort -u snort -g snort -c /opt/snort/rules/snort.conf -d -D -i ppp0
        echo
        touch /var/lock/subsys/snort
        ;;
 stop)
        echo -n "Shutting down snort:"
        killproc snort
        echo
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/snort
        rm -f /chroot/httpd/var/run/snort
        ;;
 status)
        status snort
        ;;
 restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;
 *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

At 07:34 PM Sunday, 11/4/2001, mysiar () wp pl wrote -=>
hi
does anybody knows why snort terminates itself?
what's happening and how I can avoid it?

I need to run snort all the time.

maybe somebody already wrote kind of deamon to monitor
snort and start it again when it dies.

Ed Kasky
Los Angeles, CA
Nothing contributes more to peace of soul than having
no opinion at all.
        -George Christopher Lichtenberg