Snort mailing list archives

Re: .ida attempt vs .ida access

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: 01 Aug 2001 12:54:08 -0500

"Julia A. Case" <julie () MageNet com> writes:

Ok, after lots of help from Jed I got snort up and going and logging to a
MySQL database...  I'm using snortreport to view the data in the database
and it seems when I view the info about a .ida attempt it triggers an
alert of .ida access, at first I was scared and then I realized that the
alert came from the pc I was using to view the web page...

This is a somewhat common problem with IDSs monitoring IDS output.  I
believe Max Vision used to get tons of complaints from people that
were complaining his site was setting off their IDS and they were only
downloading the whitehats ruleset.

You may wish to make a pass rule along with the -o option for your IDS
ip if the network you are monitoring will come through the same
interface as the one you access the reports on.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>