Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort detection engine vulnerability

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:47:18 -0700

Hmmm... ok... You could go and change this to come up with multiple
alerts per packet (the patch would be fairly straightforward, but I'm certainly
not sure it's worth the inneficiency it introduces), but to what end again?
With this kind of technique you may be able to mask the severity of your
attack with certain very limited classes of attacks... (I practice, imho, the
number of attacks that are succeptible to this kind of obfuscation is small
enough that I think there are bigger fish to fry first.... most web/cgi attacks
would be extremely diffiicult to code with a double attack in a single
request....) and your example is supposing this test-cgi rule is loaded before
your other exploit rule. In any case this is relatively academic because....

The point however is that your address/packet is still busted... you may
have been able to sneak that other attack in, but the IDS still triggered and
your double attack packet is recorded - and then hopefully a human
analyst examining the incident will note the monkey business.

cheers,
--dr

P.s. Cut Marty a break today, he is usually excellent (better than
almost anyone I know) at returning e-mails, but I expect he is at
the hospital right now helping his wife deliver a baby. Which I think
ranks much, much, higher in priorities than this "vulnerability".