Snort mailing list archives

RE: Fatal Error OpenLogFile

From: "Scott" <scottr () vdot net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:32:34 -0400

I have tried to get snort to run as owner/group of snort, but it won't.  I'm
using snort 1.8 build 43.  It will only run as root and only write logs for
root/root.  Any suggestions as to how I would go about making snort run and
log as owner/group snort?

BTW here is how I'm starting snort

 daemon /usr/sbin/snort -u root -g root -s -d -D \
                -i eth1 -l /var/log/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
        touch /var/lock/subsys/snort

I have tried changing the -u and -g to snort which is a group in my groups
files and I've changed the /var/log/snort to owner/group of snort.  When
owner/group is snort and /var/log/snort is also group/owner snort I still
get the OpenLogFile error.

TIA

Scotty