Snort mailing list archives

Re: Re: Snort Behind IPtables, contradicting evidence...

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:43:41 -0700

Bob:

Yes..

Bob Hillegas wrote:

If you're interested in snort versus firewall discussion read on.
Otherwise this gets kind of deep. Sorry.

The question I'm trying to answer is: Does snort on the same box as a
packet filter see all the traffic? I think my analysis says yes.

That then begs the question, why don't you see any codered traffic in this
configuration? I think the answer is that when you DENY packets, you stop
the codered transmission at the first SYN packet. It never receives a
SYN-ACK, so you never get back the final ACK or any payload.

This whole CodeRed/Nimda deal has been rather anticlimactic for me, because of exactly what you describe.

I've been getting a billion SYN's coming in on tcp:80 but because I DENY that port, I never get to see any of the later elements of the exploits themselves.

Remember that tcp connection establishment has three parts: the intial SYN coming in, my outgoing ACK for that SYN and my outgoing SYN, and then the original source replies with an ACK to my SYN, and off we go... the exploit itself come after the tcp connection is established.

A firewall that DENY's tcp:80 will see the first SYN in multitudes, but nothing else.

Those who accept connections on tcp:80 have to implement other protections, elsewhere.

I guess in a way you could say it's so very safe being chaste, but it's also kinda boring... ;-)

- John

--
John Sage
FinchHaven, Vashon Island, WA, USA

Someone who has received the full codered transmission can comment more
authoritatively than I on that.