Snort mailing list archives

Re: ethernet without IP

From: Abu Emran Abu Bakar <aeab () iiu edu my>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:26:23 -0800 (GMT)

tq
yes i've did it with -i still the warning appears

Initializing Network Interface eth1
WARNING: OpenPcap() device eth1 network lookup:
        SIOCGIFADDR: eth1: Cannot assign requested
address
Decoding Ethernet on interface eth1

        --== Initialization Complete ==--

did a ps -ax and ifconfig yup snort running and promisc
yet no logging?..even tough i did few  scanning..just
to test..

Quoting akshaye kalkura <draci () hotmail com>:

hi,

while executing snort, also mention the interface u
want snort to listen on

there is a -i option in it....pls chk that..u cld
give soemthing like this

snort -i eth0 -c snort.conf (this is for the ethernet
with ip)

if u want snort to listen on the card which has no
ip, then u will have to
bring that interface down and then up: ifconfig eth1
down/up, then

snort -i eth1 -c snort.conf

ak.