Snort mailing list archives

Re: Logging not working

From: Gordon Ewasiuk <gewasiuk () gnmc net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 01:30:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Ed Kasky wrote:
At 12:39 AM 9/21/2001 -0400, Gordon Ewasiuk wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Ed Kasky wrote:
touch /var/log/snort/alert

then restart snort.

Did just that - had no effect.  It did create another set of snort.alert
and snort.log though - and I noticed that the older ones had something in
them...

Got my wires crossed.  I'm doing high-perf config which logs to
/var/log/snort/alert in ASCII text.

2096 Sep 20 21:44 0920@2009-snort.alert
4096 Sep 20 21:08 0920 () 2009-snort log

0 Sep 20 21:44 0920@2144-snort.alert
0 Sep 20 21:44 0920 () 2144-snort log

But - when I tried to view them I get the following:

"0920@2009-snort.alert" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?
Is this a database file????

Appears so.  You got a '-b' on your snort cmd line?  that logs to a binary
file.  Think you gotta replay those like tcpdump.  Logging to binary file
is faster (says docs).  To replay the binary file and view stuff:

quoting from snort.org:

To read this file back and break out the data in the familiar Snort
format, just rerun Snort on the data file with the "-r" option and the
other options you would normally use. For example:

from http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap1.html#tth_sEc1.4.2

Also, if you want to log to ascii text file, try:

<path to snort> -b -A fast -c <path to snort.conf>

That should log to /var/log/snort/alert in ASCII text.

-G