Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to use a list of ports but not a range?

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 00:39:05 -0700

I've looked into the guts of the parser there, and it currently only takes
a max and min port range as opposed to a list of ports.  This too can be
changed.  The workaround (which is almost identical in the result it
has on internal processing in practice, though uglyer to read) is to write
mutliple rules for each range of ports.

A port list is not actually that unreasonable a request. I keep muttering
stuff about patching a few things in the parser, but maybe Marty will
get to it before I do as I have to fix up defrag things first. (though he's
bitten more work off there with stream4...) But before a port list, I'd
rather have a better HTTP normalizer for all these fancy newangled
url attacks that seem to keep cropping up...  Don't mind me... just
muttering outloud. :-)

cheers,
--dr