Snort mailing list archives

Re: Promiscuous mode (again)

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:00:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, snortlst snortlst wrote:

[...snip...]

So according to that it is mandatory to have NIC in promiscuous mode on
snort machine.....one of the guys send me an answer that it is not
mandatory..... Can anybody clarify this issue?

No, it's not mandatory.  It's just more useful.

(On the other hand - what's the use of having promiscuous mode if we use
swithches on the network?)

Here's the basic difference between promisc and non-promisc:  Promiscuous mode
will see 'all' packets on the local wire.  Non-Promiscuous will only see
packets directed _AT THAT BOX_.  Now to define ''all packets'--If it's on a
switch, you'll need to be port mirroring or spanning to see all traffic on the
switch.  If you're on a 'True Hub', you'll see all traffic without any effort.
Traffic that is directed 'at that box' means broadcast traffic and traffic
that has a dest. address of the box in question.

As for the use of promisc on a switched net, well...  Only useful if your
switch will allow you to span/mirror or has a special monitor port on it.

Does that help, or does it make it even less clear?  I hope it helps!  :)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net