Snort mailing list archives

Re: Some flags in the pv structure in snort main

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:31:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Anupam  Bansal wrote:

I am just trying to understand some of Snort's data structures and source
code.

The data structure pv in snort.c seems to hold most of the flags.

What are the quiet flag and readmode flag for ??

[Warning:  I'm not a coder.  I've just stared at the code for way to long...
:]

Quiet mode is for when you're post processing and you don't want any screen
output.  Sorta like if you were to use snort as a drop in replacement for
tcpdump in SHADOW.

Readmode is just that:  When you're reading a binary log file, it
automatically sets the readmode flag.

If I'm off base here, someone _please_ correct me!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net