Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort -v

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:16:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001 tommy () security-protocols com wrote:

I have a general question.  When does it mean when you run Snort (snort -v)
in verbose mode?  Is this some type of sniffing mode?  Also, I wanted to run
snort in a sniffer mode and have it dump or make a log of what it picks up.
What would be the command to do this?  I am running Snort v 1.71 on a win32
box.  (I know, It should be on *nix!  I am working on that)

-v will show you all the packets that it's currently seeing, but it will _not_
decode them unless told to do so with -d .

snort -b -l <logdir> will drop the binary formatted logfiles into the
<logfile> directory.  To re-read that file later snort -dvr <logfile> | less .

Now you said you were being good and swapping over to *NIX, so I won't yell at
you.  ;-)  One thing you should do--Go to 1.8.1-RELEASE.  It's quite a bit
more stable and robust on any platform!  There are some precompiled win32
binaries on the website, so have a look and pick your poision.

http://snort.sourcefire.com/

Enjoy!

-----
Erek Adams