Snort mailing list archives

Re: How can I tell if spade is running?

From: James Hoagland <hoagland () silicondefense com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:51:47 -0700

At 9:18 AM +0100 8/29/01, Matthew Collins wrote:
 >>> James Hoagland <hoagland () silicondefense com> 28/08/01 16:40:37 >>>

Just wondering.  For what reason did you change CallAlertFuncs to
CallAlertPlugins?

I noticed that stream4 was using that, rather than CallAlertFuncs, so just thought I'd try it.

There doesn't seem to be too much difference, but as far as I know CallAlertFuncs is the one Spade is supposed to call.

 >>I don't know why I only got the Fatal error message when I put the
debug level up, looking at the code it should always produce that
message.

Not sure.  To start with I'd need to know how you changed the debug
level.  And also precisely what error message you got.

I set as_debug = 1 at the top of the spp_anomsenor.c file.
The error message was
FATAL ERROR: spp_anomsensor: unable to open /var/log/spade./log.txt

You are right, it shouldn't matter according to the code. Therefore I suspect that some other change was made at the same time as setting as_debug, which caused the error to show up. Or perhaps the message was not noticed before. That's all I can think of.

Spade had not been running long, an hour at the most. I was playing around with settings as well. I'm going to keep an eye out for it now it's all settled down again.

That may well not have been long enough, depending on your network.

Good luck,

  Jim
--
|*               hoagland () SiliconDefense com                *|
|*              http://www.silicondefense.com/              *|