Snort mailing list archives

Re: Something I don't understand...

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:54:06 -0700

Bob:

Quick thought:

Bob Hillegas wrote:

I am running snort Version 1.8.1-RELEASE (Build 74) on RH7.1.
Snort is started using the command line:
snort -i ppp0 -u snort -g snort -z est -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -D

How does the interface ppp0 match up with running in -D daemon mode?

What I'm wondering is, is your ppp link eternal, and the IP never-changing?

If your ppp link comes up and down like mine (I'm a dialup..) and you have a dynamic IP, how does snort running in daemon mode know that a new IP address has been assigned without snort restarting?

The snort.conf rule set is v 1.62 2001/08/12.
The snort.conf (without comments) is appended below.

I am connected to the internet using ppp0 over a 56K modem. I use ipchains
to DENY everything but ports 25, 110, 80 (squid), 53, and ICMP.

Not to digress into ipchains/ports philosophy, but are you offering services to the outside world such that people need to connect to you on 25, 110, 53 and 80?

Are you offering nameservice to the outside world, for example?

Just wondering...

- John

--
John Sage
FinchHaven, Vashon Island, WA, USA

I log all DENY packets and get dozens of DENY packets daily, most of which
lately have been directed to port 80.

Snort registers none of this. It has only registered random ICMP traffic,
about 20 packets over the last three weeks.

As a comparison, I started tcpdump as follows:
tcpdump -eflS -nn -vv -i ppp0 &> tcpdump.fil &
This file contains all of the packets that got logged as DENY'd by
ipchains, and in comparison, snort logged nothing to syslog, nothing to
the database, nothing to the binary file.

Is there something very basic I am missing or is this a problem with my
setup?

Thanks to anyone who takes time to comment. BobH

--- snip ---
var HOME_NET $ppp0_ADDRESS
var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET
var SMTP $HOME_NET
var HTTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET
var SQL_SERVERS $HOME_NET

var DNS_SERVERS $HOME_NET
preprocessor frag2
preprocessor stream4: detect_scans
preprocessor stream4_reassemble
preprocessor http_decode: 80
preprocessor rpc_decode: 111
preprocessor bo: -nobrute
preprocessor telnet_decode
preprocessor portscan: $HOME_NET 4 3 portscan.log
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: $DNS_SERVERS
output alert_syslog: LOG_AUTH LOG_ALERT
output log_tcpdump: snort.log
output database: alert, mysql, dbname=snort user=snort password=snort host=localhost
include classification.config
include exploit.rules
include scan.rules
include finger.rules