Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question on particular port scan of port 139/TCP

From: "J. C. Woods" <drjung () sprynet com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:39:02 +0000

Sean O'Neill wrote:

Gotta a question.

There are two systems that scan me every morning on port 139/TCP.  I've
called the owners.  They are a small trucking company with no IT
department.  They are network/Internet newbies and have no knowledge of why
their machines are doing this.  They power down their servers at COB.  It
appears every work day when the power their servers up these machines scan
me.  Then in the afternoon I might get scanned again.  What is weird is
their servers are specifically scanning each of my 5 IPs.  I've never heard
of the NETBIOS Session Service doing this before.  I don't get scanned all
day.  Just once or twice a day - that's it.

So could this be:

1) Related to a netmask issue.  They are using the same ISP I am with the
same 8 (with 5 usage) static IP package from SWB.  So their netmask should
be /29.  I can't imagine this could be it because they would have several
other problems if their netmask wasn't correct.

2) Is there an NT compromise that fits this sort of activity their machines
may be unfortunate enough to be hosting ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hmmm, a lot depends on the particular OS's involved here, your and
theirs. And is one of you running Windows Server with the WINS server
enabled. It could be an attempt by a WINS Server, depending on who is
running this service, to query what it believes to be a NETBIOS client.
Some more info about the particulars is needed to fully understand what
is going on...

drjung

--
J. Craig Woods