Snort mailing list archives

RE: getting started how to ..help

From: Erwin () fox-it com
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:25:30 +0200

Hi,

Maybe u should starup with the following:

"snort -dvi rl1 -c snort.conf "

Where rl1 is u networkinterface u want snort to check the traffic from
The snort.conf file u can leave at the deaufault settings for now. In this
setup snort should at least do something (u should see some traffic flowing
by). If u then use a ping from a outside machine to a inside u should
trigger a ping signature and see that it works. After that its all
finetuning

Also make the /var/log/snort/ directory where the snorts logs goto

Hope to have been of some help. I am also new to snort, so i'm also still
learning. But this worked for me

- ---
Erwin Fok                       t  015 - 21 21 907
Fox-IT Forensic IT Experts      f  015 - 21 21 964
Oude Delft 47                   e  erwin () fox-it com
2611 BC  Delft                  i  www.fox-it.com