Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort refuses to compile with mysql support, but seems to...

From: JSeddon () semtech com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:19:59 -0700

Oinker Matthew,

     That did the trick.  After running make distclean, I was able to
compile it just fine with mysql support.  Now I can really root around!
Thanks.

James

                    "Matthew Collins"

                    <Matthew.Collins@northernregistr        To:     <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>, <JSeddon ()
semtech com>
                    ars.co.uk>                              cc:

                                                            Subject:     Re: [Snort-users] Snort refuses to compile
with mysql
                    08/22/01 09:19 AM                       support,     but seems to...

First, you need to run

make distclean

That will clear out all your old settings & object files & configure
settings.

Then run ./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql

This will either work, or fail. If it fails, you might not have the mysql
header files that are needed to compile snort with mysql support. (I don't
know if the binary package installs them). I use debian, and they usually
have -dev packages that contain these headers.
Get the header files (you might need to download the source package, I'm
not sure, perhaps someone else can step in here). I compiled mysql from
source, so I'm not sure how you'd go about it with a binary package.

Oinkers, that's a good one. That's slang for a really ugly woman round here
(God, she's a real Oinker ;)

<JSeddon () semtech com> 22/08/01 16:38:19 >>>
Hello fellow oinkers (do snort users have an official nickname?)...

I'm still having trouble.  I poked around in the list archives, the faq,
and google and couldn't find anything on this so please forgive me if I
missed it.  I'm trying to compile snort to support loggin to a db.

I'm using the snort.1.8.1-RELEASE version on RedHat7.1.

I installed the linux binary dist of mysql from mysql.org
(mysql-3[1].23.40-).  It's installed in /usr/local/mysql according to the
mysql directions.  I've configured it according to the directions from
incident.org/snortdb but I don't think I'm even getting far enough for that
to matter.

This message and any attachments are confidential to the ordinary user of
the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged.
If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use
any part of the message or its attachments and if you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete it from your system.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or
contain
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the context of this message which arise as a result of
Internet
transmission.
Northern Registrars Limited, Northern House, Woodsome Park, Fenay
Bridge, Huddersfield. HD8 0LA.
Tel: +44 (0) 1484 600900  Fax: +44 (0) 1484 600911
For more information visit our web site:
http://www.northernregistrars.co.uk