Snort mailing list archives

RE: Relationship between snort and ipchains and security strategies

From: "John Berkers" <berjo () ozemail com au>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:12:12 +1000

John, Steven,

With regard to Snort seeing packets before IPChains, snort (libpcap
actually) sees all traffic before the IP stack processes it.  Since IPChains
plugs into the IP stack, it therefore sees the traffic after snort.  So if
you see snort alert on something, this does not meant that it has got
through your IPChains.  You would need to check your IPChains logs (if you
are logging) to verify whether or not it actually got through.

While this is the case for network cards this does not appear to hold
entirely true for PPP adapters.

There certainly appears to be nothing wrong with your setup.

Hope that clarifies some things.

Regards,
John Berkers                                       ICQ: 112912
Network Operations Infrastructure Support - Hansen Corporation
john.berkers () hancorp com au               berjo () ozemail com au