Snort mailing list archives

Re: DB Rules

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: 17 Aug 2001 21:12:38 -0500

Charles Henrich <henrich () sigbus com> writes:

It would be really cool if snort could read its rulesets from the database
source.  That way remote sensors who are talking directly to the central DB
server could get immediate rule updates, and make administration of a snort
network much easier.. (IMHO).  Whacha think?

I've done a small bit of work on that.  Desiging the schema isn't too
bad and writing a parser for the snort rules language isn't too bad (
doable in a weekend ) but keeping up with Marty and new
options/features can be bad :)

I will admit I have a bit of difficulty writing a lex/yacc type
grammar for the rule set b/c it's got a lot of separte rules for
tokenization and I'm no compiler whiz.

At snort 2.0, the a goal is to have a modular rules engine so everyone
can write whatever type of rule engine they would like.
--
Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.