Snort mailing list archives

Re: FW: password sniffingj

From: Neil Dickey <neil () geol niu edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:19:59 -0500 (CDT)

"Sutton, Andrew" <andrew.sutton () cocc com> wrote:

Here's two that I use for telnet.  I suppose you could open it up for any
any for other ports.  The tricky part is what would flag the user/pass in
the content of the packets.

alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"Telnet Username in the
_CLEAR!_";content: "USER";nocase;)
alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 21 (msg:"Telnet Password in the
_CLEAR!_";content: "PASS";nocase;)

For my own instruction, when I first learned that telnet was insecure
I set up a snoop session and did some telnetting to see what I could
see.  What I found is that, while the telnet password is in fact sent
in the clear, it is sent one character at a time in successive packets.
This makes it a bit difficult to sniff.  FTP, on the other hand, puts
the whole thing in a single packet, in the clear, and the second rule
above will in fact pick it up.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Sysop