Snort mailing list archives

Re: question about flexresp snort plugin on openbsd

From: Malikai <malikai () darkgroove com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:38:07 -0500

I am attempting to install snort with the flex response plugin on
openbsd. When I try to compile it I get the following errors:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.   -DENABLE_SSL -I/usr/include  -g -O2 -Wall \
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-DENABLE_SMB_ALERTS -DENABLE_RESPONSE -DLIBNET_BSDISH_OS -DLIBNET_LIL_ENDIAN \
-c sp_respond.c

This could be 'way off base, but I have a similar problem when I try
to compile with flexresponse enabled on a Sparc, running Solaris2.7,
and gcc2.95.2.  I don't blow up in the same module, but the complaints,
if I remember correctly, are similar.

What it boils down to in my case is that configure introduces a
reference to /usr/include in Makefile which shouldn't be there, so the
compiler finds header files which don't fit the program.  What I do to
get around it is edit Makefile ( after making a copy, of course ) to
remove the offending entry.  Do a search for 'CPPFLAGS' and remove
"-I/usr/include" from the string; then save, try compiling, and see
what happens.

I removed the /usr/include from 'CPPFLAGS' and got the same results
upon compiling. It seems as if there is some
incompatibility/outdatedness with the obsd includes. I say this
because I had installed the same configuration as above on a Slack8
linux box with no problems, but on slack7 there seems to be similar
compile time issues.

--
ciau,
Malikai