Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Installation issues!

From: Erek Adams <erek () theadamsfamily net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:05:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Missaghi, Shawn wrote:

I downloaded snort 1.8.1 and Lippcap 0.6.2
I installed both under /opt
It created snort under /usr/local/bin, but when I try to run it gives me the
following error :
      Initializing rule chains
      unable to open rule file: /root/.snortrc or /root//root/.snortrc
      fatal error, quitting..

Ok.  Easy enough.  :)

if you look at the source for 1.8.1 at around line 3072, you'll see the start
of a void ReadConfFile().  Reading that, you'll see that it looks for
snort.conf in /etc and ./ .  If it does _not_ find them it grabs your home
dir, then checks there for a .snortrc file.

From that, this means you don't have a config that snort can find or read.
Check around for a snort.conf file and make sure that is correctly setup.  If
you've just grabbed the latest tarball, you'll have one in there you can copy
and then modify to do what you want.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams