Snort mailing list archives

Re: full tcpdump logging with alerting

From: Ryan.Oliver () pha com au
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:34:45 +1000

Greetings all,

Thanks all, it works a treat except for one thing.

When running snort in daemon mode I have it logging to mysql/syslog and
the tcpdump formatted file.
Unfortunately when I stop snort to rotate out the tcpdump logfile (done
hourly) I cannot read the contents, getting "pcap_loop: truncated dump
file".

This doesn't occur if I run snort outside of daemon mode (which isn't an
option)...
I've tried kill with signals 1,2,3,9 but still with the same results...

Is there any way to get snort to complete the logfile and bow out
gracefully from daemon mode or is there something I am missing here??

Any help appreciated

Best Regards
Ryan Oliver